2015-11-09

CHOC Cows Post #5

Hello all,

Technically I'm not going against the fact that I said in my last post 'next you hear from me will be after the races' because, well, it's now after 2 of the races mentioned, okay one of which I wasn't racing (although it felt like I was, some kids can pedal fast).


So after two days in a row in a Cow Suit racing around on the bike I can assure you that when the outside temperature is hitting 40c it is pretty warm in the suit. Although Saturday's short sprints gave me sufficient rest between the spurts, Sundays 55Km slog on the dirt was testing, testimony to that fact is that in the 4h18m30s it took me to finish, nearly 40 minutes of that time was spent stationery, either at the water points refuelling or wherever I could find some shade along the way to cool down for a bit. 

Plenty of people came past me offering encouragement, thanks to all, and I was privileged to finish the race alongside Grant Bain, it was he, his wife Kerrin and a few of their friends that initiated the Cows movement as they planned to ride in memory of their daughter Jessica, they got together and decided to raise funds for CHOC riding in Cow suits. Read more about that here

Anyway we have been encouraged to make a final push in the last week before the 94.7 Cycle Challenge so here goes PUSH this button DONATE pleeeeaase. It really is for a good cause. 

Just to give you an overview this what The Cows intend to assist CHOC with in the coming year:
  • Accommodation - assist with house running costs
    (The CHOC Lodge, Durban; CHOC Houses Saxonwold, Diepkloof and Pretoria) 
  • Psychosocial Support -fund the salaries of 7 psychosocial staff members
    (Gauteng, Eastern Cape and Free State) 
  • Programme vehicle (CHOC Free State) 
  • Essential maintenance to CHOC Houses (Pietermaritzburg, Pretoria and East London) 
So one more race to go, and I'll also be helping at the Cycle Challenge Expo, so if you're there look for me at the COWS stand and say hi, maybe even purch some merch, and put some 'change' in a tin, the proceeds all go to CHOC.


No comments:

Post a Comment